Thursday, February 15, 2007

Why do we teach? What is the difference between school "work" and student "learning"? What makes for good teaching?

One of the simplest reason for why we teach is becasue someone has to educate our future generations. But I think that is the main reason for very few people. We teach because we care about the well being and the future of the students and we enjoy learning and exploring our subject area with other people. I know why I specifically want to teach. My teachers in high school were such a big influence on me that I want to positively impact students as well. Also I really love music and I want to make music for the rest of my life, and share my passion with others.

The point of education is "learning". If students aren't learning then the teacher is not doing their job. In order to learn students have to "work". Class work, coming to class, and even thinking about the topic can all be considered work towards learning. These should not be busy work that is no fun for anyone and is done just to get a grade, but something that the students can relate to and take something away from, that they will remember. Too much work can be overbearing and take interest and enjoyment out of learning.

Good teaching is accomplished when the students learn the information and retain it. This is most effectively accomplished by intriguing the students so they are truly interested and are more guaranteed to remember the information. If students don't like a topic or teacher, but remember everything from the class learning has still taken place but no one truly wants that. It is not enjoyable and much more difficult for everyone. If a student doesn't care they will not be involved and it is much more difficult for learning to happen. By being friendly and open, and making the subject important to the student it is much easier for them to be involved and easier for everyone to learn.

No comments: