Thursday, February 22, 2007

Controversial Issue: NCLB

I know that No Child Left Behind is a topic most people know about and it may be cliche to write about it now, but i do feel strongly about it. I didn't really know much about it until someone I knew told me they might loose their job and when I asked why I found out the school's budget was tight because they did not meet certain standards. I was confused why a school with below average students would be cutting teachers and I found out it was because of NCLB. I understand the basis of rewarding schools who meet standards and putting pressure on those that don't. But as it seems to me a school with lower scores should have more or better teachers, both of which cost more money. I also think that because it is so vital for a school to meet standards the teachers must teach to the test. This takes away opportunities for new and creative learning sessions and will lead a check list of topics. I'm sure this list would include very important things, most of which are probably already being taught in the classroom in which they are required, but leaves teachers feeling hindered in their freedom of lesson plans and more crunched on time. I think the idea of NCLB is great and I think it is important that the government set standards for students to meet. and NCLB is a step in that direction, but I believe it unfortunately leaves more students behind.

No comments: